Below are some of the most commonly asked questions that transfer students have. 

If you do not see your question listed below do not hesitate to contact us at the Transfer Student Center or post on the UCLA Transfer Student Facebook Group. You may also want to check out the Transfer Timeline Pages and the Resources Page for more information about student support services and transfer specific concerns and questions. 

Adjusting to the Quarter System

How can I get involved and be more connected as a transfer student at UCLA?

Whether you live on campus or off, transfers can find it challenging to get involved and feel plugged into the University. The speed of the quarter system, the transition to a new environment, and the fact that most UCLA transfer students are commuters exacerbates the common tendency to feel isolated or overwhelmed by the new experience. 

Even for those that live on campus, most feel that they really need to deliberately search out opportunities to connect with other students (by going to events and reaching out to other students for example) because the campus is so large and busy it is easy to feel disconnected.

Grades, retention, and student wellness are all linked to feeling connected in an academic environment. Mitigate the challenges list above by deliberately searching out opportunities to join in with other students, attend activities, and social, academic, and professional events.

Here are some ways in which to connect and feel more plugged into the university system:

‘Like’ the Transfer Program Facebook Page, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn sites to get instant updates on transfer specific events, activities, resources, and other information pertinent to the transfer community.

Go on the UCLA Transfer Students Facebook Group and meet other transfers! This group is for current and former UCLA transfer students to ask each other questions and have conversations about academics, social life, LA living, campus resources, support, etc. Get a chorus of answers from fellow transfers and dedicated UCLA Transfer Student Program and Bruin Resource Center (BRC) staff. More information about the Transfer Student Program can be found here.

Attend Transfer Transitions (we need a link to this, does not exist yet) a free supplement to orientation that introduces you to seasoned transfers, ways to get involved as a new student, academic adjustment seminars, resources for transfers, and how to map out your time at UCLA to be successful. Transfer Transition Sessions are offered during the summer before your first quarter.

Attend Welcome Week events like the Transfer Student Welcome, Volunteer Day, and the Enormous activities Fair during the week before classes, this is a great time to explore the options.

Look out for Bruin Transfer Pride Week during week three of fall quarter. Bruin Transfer Pride Week (we need a link to this) is a week of transfer programming, events, and a celebration of all things transfer. Bruin Transfer Pride is offered all year long through collaborative transfer programming during week three of every quarter.

Join a student organization; there are a number of transfer specific organizations and over 1000 clubs on campus. Look up UCLA student organizations by keyword here.

Whether they are transfer specific or simply student specific, there are a plethora of activities, events, workshops, and service opportunities offered every week during the quarter. Be on the lookout for them through the Transfer Program Page, the AAP website, the CPO Facebook Page, or any of the many other UCLA Facebook groups. There are also events and workshops listed on your MYUCLA homepage, this is a great place to find out what is going on campus. For service opportunities check out the UCLA Volunteer Centers website as well as the Community Service Commissions web page as they offer multitudes of projects throughout the year. If you are looking for sports, arts, and cultural events be sure to follow the UCLA Happenings website.

Even working out at the gym is an opportunity to meet other students with shared interests. Look at what UCLA Recreation has to offer!

Internships, research positions, jobs on campus, and volunteer opportunities are terrific ways to get plugged in and create a cohort.

Talk to people! It may sound silly or seem scary, but the truth is we are all in the same boat. Lots of students feel isolated and shy to just talk to the person next to them, but it is a terrific way to connect.

Start a study group.

Go to office hours! Meet with professors and TAs, and do not be anonymous in class! Terrific relationships and opportunities can come from reaching out to those doing work you are interested in.

Use the resources available to you. If you are feeling stressed, disconnected, or just need some inspiration about how to get more involved stop by the Transfer Program or any other advising office and chat with an advisor. It is not unusual to feel this way as a transfer! Do not feel as though you are alone in this, there are other students feeling the way you are feeling, and there are a tremendous amount of resources to help.

Lean in to opportunity. Anything is possible at UCLA. There is opportunity all around you and all you need to do is lean in to it. Search it out, pick a direction, say yes, and do not be afraid to ask questions! 

Am I the only one feeling so overwhelmed and stressed?

You're not alone.

The first quarter can be rattling, and is a huge adjustment, especially if you have never experienced the quarter system. We guarantee you that you are absolutely not alone in these feelings. This is a normal part of the transition and normal part of being a transfer student at UCLA. Plus, UCLA is a huge campus with a gazillion people, opportunities, and activities, so it is easy to get a little stunned by it all. The good news is, there are also a ton of resources and ways in which to help ease the stress. Visit Counseling and Psychological Services, come to transfer specific events and meet other transfer students, or start conversations with students in your courses. This may seem a little obvious but it can often be quite challenging to get to know people unless you reach out. Finding a cohort, a group of friends, or others with shared experiences can be your best resource, will ease stress, and can help you find focus at UCLA. 

How can I get involved in campus organizations?

There are over 1,000 student organizations here at UCLA so there should be something that peaks your personal or professional interest. Browse organizations here.

You can either search for a group by typing in what you are looking for or browse by category. If there is not a student group on campus for what you are interested in, then look in to starting your own student organization, all you need is three likeminded individuals!

Find out more information here.

There are many transfer student specific organization to be involved in as well.

How can I best manage my time for the quarter system?

Be sure to check out workshops and student panels highlighting seasoned transfer students who have been in your shoes. Hear first-hand how others have adjusted academically to the quarter system and learn what to anticipate. These events are offered in the summer during the Transfer Programs free Transfer Transition Sessions, at the beginning of fall quarter, as well as throughout the academic year.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers time management, procrastination, and other helpful workshops throughout the year.

Time management is key when it comes to getting all of your assignments done in 10 weeks. Remind yourself of all the incredible skills you have and what got you to UCLA in the first place, and then utilize those tools in your new environment. It is easy to forget because you are in a new situation, but the fact is you have written papers before, talked to professors before, you have taken exams before, etc. now you just have to refine these skills for the quarter system, but you do not have to relearn them!

Start study groups, use a planner, visit the Undergraduate Writing Center and other academic resources at your disposal, find out about tutors, ask other students  –whatever it is that you think you will need to set yourself up for success.

Using a planner effectively is a lifesaver on the quarter system. Put office hours in your weekly planner as though it is part of the course, that way you will not schedule other activities during this time and you can utilize offices hours like tutoring sessions. Try writing in study time this way as well, and the moment you get your class syllabi write down all important assignment due dates in your planner.

Be sure to check out the Study Tips and Time Management for the Quarter System section of the Transfer Student Success Guide for more ideas on how to prepare yourself for your first quarter.

If you feel you are really struggling and that you may have a learning disorder or some other issue that may be affecting your ability to manage your time well be sure to visit CAPS and/or the Office for Students with Disabilities.

Campus Resource Questions

Where can I find important dates and deadlines?

  • To stay up to date on important dates and deadlines such as when instruction begins, drop dates, school holidays, etc. Be sure to visit the Registrar’s Office website regularly. Dates can be found under the "Calendars" tab. 

Where can I checkout laptops on campus?

I heard there is free printing, where is it?

  • On the main campus, the LGBT Center located in the Student Activities Center offers 5 pages of free printing
  • The CPO Computer Lab, located in the Student Activities Center, offers students 75 pages of free printing (front and back).
  • If you live on The Hill, there are several free printing stations in Covel Commons, and the Rieber and De Neve residence halls; look them up here.
  • If you are currently enrolled in a Life and Physical Sciences course students may print up to 50 pages per quarter at no cost in one of the five computer labs in Franz Hall.
  • If you qualify for Advanced Academic Placement (AAP), Campbell Hall offers free printing.
  • There is printing both black & white and color printing at Powel and YRL Library if you are in a bind. It cost 10¢ for Black and White and 40¢ for color each side. A wise tip would be to use this as a last option as there are many other sources named above.
  • Be sure to load up your BruinCard with funds so you always have a way to pay for last minute copies. More information on how here.
  • Here is a map of all of the computer labs on campus. 

I have a physical and/or mental disability, where can I go to get services?

  • The Office of Students with Disabilities (OSD) provides support services for students with disabilities. If you have (or believe you have) a physical or mental impairment that limits your ability to do your best at UCLA, visit OSD to find out what accommodations may be available for you.

What if my Bruin Card gets lost or stolen?

  • The Bruin Card serves as a: Registration Card; Identification Card; Recreation Center Card; Library Card; Student Ticket Discount Card; Debit Card for purchases on and off campus; and, Residence Hall Meal, Access, and Laundry Card.
  • The first card is issued with no charge.
  • Make sure to suspend lost or stolen cards immediately either online under "Manage My Account", over the phone (310-825-2336), or in person at a BruinCard Center. This step is important to prevent fraudulent use of your card.
  • In order to replace a lost card, students must visit the BruinCard office at 123 Kerckhoff Hall.  There is a $23.50 fee to replace lost or stolen BruinCards. 

Financial Questions

How does Financial Aid work?

  • Every student has a different type of financial package and need on campus. To find out the information that pertains specifically to you it is best to talk to the experts in the Financial Aid Office which is located at A-129J Murphy Hall.
  • Be sure to fill out the FAFSA every year in order to be considered for financial aid. Everyone should apply even if you do not think you qualify.
  • The FAFSA application comes out Jan 1st of ever year and is due by March 2nd.
  • For more financial aid information click here

How do I find out about/apply for scholarships?

  • Visit the Scholarship Resource Center’s (SRC) website and go in and meet the incredibly helpful staff inside Covel Commons
  • SRC offers drop-in scholarship counseling, proofreading of essays, workshops, access to scholarships not available online, and more.
  • Incoming transfers should go to the Incoming Transfer Students link.
  • Once you are enrolled at UCLA, you're considered a "continuing student." Therefore your junior year you will apply for "senior-year scholarships."
  • Be sure to schedule scholarship due dates in to your planner or create a database of the scholarships you intend to apply for, they can sneak up on you and are easy to miss. In fact it is smart to approach scholarship applications like a part-time job, the more you apply for the more opportunity you have to win money!
  • There are scholarships applications year round, however spring and fall tend to be times that many are due. 
  • Here are some current scholarships

How do I find a work study position?

Eligible for work study and not sure where to get started? Find answers to your work study questions here.

Is there financial aid for summer sessions?

  • Yes, you can take summer school classes. However, there are policies that dictate whether units will transfer to UCLA or not. This depends on whether you plan to attend a community college or another university for your summer sessions. Check these policies on the College of Academic Counseling website.
    • To be absolutely sure, check with your specific department counselor to address your particular situation.
  • Departmental counselors can determine if classes from a community college or university will satisfy specific major requirements. is also a great at-home resource.
  • There is financial aid available for summer, but you need to apply. In addition to completing the FAFSA, you must also complete the online Summer Financial Aid Application, available beginning April 1. The priority deadline for submitting the summer application is April 30.
  • In order to be eligible for summer aid, students need to enroll in a minimum of 6 units (half-time status). A minimum of 8 units is required to qualify for summer University Grant
  • Aid will be subject to cancellation if you drop below half-time status. Some programs (Federal Pell Grant and Summer University Grant) require enrollment in 12 units to receive full eligibility.
  • The Financial Aid Office will review all units at the end of the third week of each UCLA summer session (the census date) in order to determine your eligibility for summer aid. If you are not enrolled in the number of units on which their award was based on will be billed. Adding units after the census date will not reinstate your eligibility.
  • Be sure to browse the Financial Aid Office website as well.

How many units do I need to take during summer session to be eligible for financial aid?

In order to be eligible for summer aid, students need to enroll in a minimum of 6 units (half-time status). A minimum of 8 units is required to qualify for summer University Grant.

Aid will be subject to cancellation if you drop below half-time status. Some programs (Federal Pell Grant and Summer University Grant) require enrollment in 12 units to receive full eligibility.

The Financial Aid Office will review all units at the end of the third week of each UCLA summer session (the census date) in order to determine your eligibility for summer aid. If you are not enrolled in the number of units on which their award was based on you will be billed. Adding units after the census date will not reinstate your eligibility.

For more information click here

Academic Questions

Where can I find important academic dates and deadlines?

To stay up to date on important academic and administrative dates and deadlines such as when instruction begins, course drop dates, university holidays, etc. be sure to visit the Registrar’s Office website regularly. Dates can be found under the "Calendars" tab.

Where can I find the schedule of classes?

• You can access current and future schedules of classes either through your MYUCLA account by using your class planer and enrollment links, or by visiting the Registrar’s Office website

What type of academic advising is available to me?

There are many options for academic counseling at UCLA depending on your needs. As a transfer you should make an appointment with your advisers as needed, however, it is a good idea to try to see your College Academic Counselor and your Departmental Advisor at least once a quarter to make sure you are on track for graduation and meeting all of your major requirements.

  • College Academic Counseling (CAC)
      • Referred to as College Counselors, College Advisors, Academic Advisors, or College Academic Counseling
      • Each student’s situation is unique, while there are multiple ways to get your questions answered and the website is a good place to start, you should definitely meet with an advisor to go over your case specifically.
      • CAC is the place to go for general questions regarding requirements for graduation, any academic difficulty you may be experiencing, and program planning such as double majoring or taking on a minor.
      • The CAC website offers FAQs regarding academic issues, online advising, and other online resources.
      • CAC provides three counseling options:
        • Fulltime College Counselors and Staff
          • Academic Counselors are available to meet with UCLA students for same-day appointments Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., make a same-day appointment by visiting Window 2 in A-316 Murphy Hall. Be aware that no appointments are available 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on Friday mornings and that Window 2 will also be closed at this time.
          • Students in Honors, AAP (Academic Advancement Program)or Athletics must meet with a fulltime college counselor in their respective advising unit.
        • College Academic Mentors (CAM)
          • CAMs are graduate students from various academic departments who are available to advise undergraduates on topics such as preparing for graduate school.
          • CAMs are available for both same-day and advance appointments. Schedule your appointment with a CAM at A-316 Murphy, Window 1. Keep in mind that CAMs are unavailable for appointments from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. every Wednesday and that and Window 1 will also be closed at this time.
        • ASK Peer Counselors
          • Another option, if you have a quick question, is to visit an ASK Peer Counselor at one of their five locations. ASK Peer Counselors are undergraduate student advisors trained in UCLA policies and procedures. They are available Monday through Friday at five locations on campus.
          • ASK Peer Counselors also write and produce a terrific resource newsletter called Bear Necessities that comes out weekly and is full of terrific information for students.
          • They are great resources for:
            • Questions about College policies and deadlines
            • Petitions and forms
            • Referrals

  • UCLA Departmental Counselors
      • Each department at UCLA has its very own counselor to help students with their upper division requirements working towards a degree.
      • If you have questions regarding your major/minor requirements, courses for your major/minor, professors in your major/minor, or anything having to do with your major/minor you would go see your departmental advisor.
      • Transfer students should definitely sit down with their departmental advisor at least once a quarter to make sure that they are on track with their major requirements and go over any questions specific to the department.
      • To find out who your counselor is and where their office is located check on your departments UCLA webpage. Click Here for a quick link to find your department’s page.

  • Honors Counselors
      • To be able to use the honors counselors a student must be accepted into the College Honors Program. To find out if you qualify see the Honors Program Website.
      • You visit an honors counselor at UCLA if you are part of the UCLA Honors Program. Honors counselor’s help students plan their program and find honors courses that best meet their academic needs and graduation goals.
      • Honors Programs utilizes the Same-Day Counseling Appointment System. They begin signing up students at 8:30 every morning for appointments that begin at 9:00am of the same day.

  • Academic Advancement Program Counseling (AAP)
      • AAP addresses the specific needs of students who come from historically disadvantage backgrounds through specialized programming and resources. AAP Offers Academic Advising specifically for Transfer Students.
      • Membership is required to use their services, to find out if you are eligible for these services visit 1232 Campbell Hall or see the AAP website.

  • Professional Counselors at AAP
      • All AAP Counselors are available for scheduled appointments and walk-in advising. Please Call (310) 825-1481 or drop by the AAP Counseling Front Desk at 1205 Campbell Hall to schedule a time to meet with your AAP Professional Counselor or Peer Counselor.
  • Peer Counselors at AAP
      • AAP peer counselors are para-professional undergraduate academic counselors who are extensively trained on university resources and policy. They also provide a student-focused look at life at UCLA - both academically and socially.
  • Student Athletics Counselors
      • The S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Program is to provide an interactive learning environment that emphasizes life-long learning habits, goal setting, teamwork, leadership and character. These services are only available to UCLA student athletes.
      • Athletics Peer Learning Lab: Student athletes can receive free tutoring services for their classes.
      • Athletics offers different programs for athletes to develop different skills and also offers workshops, mentors, and a leadership council.

In addition to the various academic and departmental advising options there are some student mentoring and coaching programs that transfer students may want to look into for extra support and access to resources.

        • The Bruin Resource Center provides a peer coaching program called GRIT (Guidance, Resilience, Integrity, and Transformation). GRIT is a peer-to-peer life coaching program, in which trained peer-coaches help support students in reaching their academic and personal goals.
          • For more information please contact:

            • Nikita Gupta, MPH, Student Development Specialist
              UCLA Bruin Resource Center
              220 Westwood Plaza (SAC Building) #B44
              Los Angeles, CA 90095
     | 310.267.5543
        • The Community Programs Office (CPO) offers numerous resources that students should definitely explore, one of them being the Student Retention Center, the first student-run, student-initiated, student-funded retention project that is designed to assist undergraduate students with academic difficulties as well as cultural and social transitions.
        • For those students who are eligible, the Academic Advancement Program (AAP) provides services and resources for first generation and low income students, and students who have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Resources include academic advising, tutoring, scholarships, and peer mentoring. Membership is required.
          • See the AAP for application information. Location: 1232 Campbell Hall Los Angeles, CA 90095-1514

Where can I find course textbooks?

Is it possible to study abroad as a transfer student? Where can I find information about travel abroad programs?

  • It is completely achievable to do a study abroad program as a transfer student at UCLA! It just takes some planning and forethought.
  • Go to the International Education Office (IEO) to set up an appointment and check out the Transfer Travel Abroad Timeline for more information about study abroad options, important dates, and tips on how to best plan your travel abroad experience.
    • You can get a lot of information about study abroad on the International Education Office website.
    • If you’d like help choosing a program, you can also visit the office in Murphy Hall, room B300. There, you’ll find counselors who can help you decide among many different options.

Study abroad options include the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP), Summer Travel, Quarter Abroad, and non-UC programs.

Where can I find tutoring?

Everyone needs tutoring: not just those struggling academically, but also those who want to succeed in the quarter system!

A complete list of tutoring resources available for a variety of subjects can be found through UCLA College of Letters and Sciences.

For more tutoring options, contact your Departmental Advisor Advisors are usually listed under "Contacts" or "Staff", and are generally described as “Undergraduate Advisors" or "Departmental Counselors". ​

You may be able to find additional tutoring in the Los Angeles area for a fee through websites such as ULoop and Wyzant. These are outside organizations not connected with UCLA.

There are many options for academic support in Residential Life such as College Academic Mentors, Classes on the Hill, and Undergraduate Writing Center locations on the Hill, you can find out about them here.

The Student Initiated Access Center is a student-run, student-initiated outreach program. Services include peer advising, skill building, and tutoring for historically underserved populations.

If you qualify for AAP, you have access to their peer mentoring service which offers free tutoring to all AAP students who want to strengthen their abilities to think independently, read analytically, write well, reason quantitatively, and study effectively.

The Student Retention Center offers peer counseling, mentorship, and tutoring to undergraduates with academic difficulties, and cultural and social transitions.

The UCLA Library offers a terrific online guide, one-on-one help, workshops on multiple topics such as how to write research papers, and more. Check out their website for more resources and information.

The Undergraduate Writing Center helps students with particular writing assignments and also guides students to become more effective and confident writers. They offer one-on-one appointments with peer learning facilitators, as well as walk-in appointments for more immediate questions. If you are using this resource be sure to start early in the quarter as the later in the term it gets the more difficult it is to get in to see the experts.

Community Programs Office’s Writing Success Program Get one-on-one writing counseling with peer support, quarterly workshops on writing, and daily drop-in hours. Below are additional resources outside of UCLA that others have found to be helpful:
• Khan Academy
• General Assembly
• Skillshare
• Coursera
• Dev
• Bootcamp

Where can I checkout laptops on campus?

Where are the best places to study on campus?

  • There are so many great places to study on campus depending on what your needs and preferences are.
  • Private rooms, collaboration pods, and large tables can be reserved at the various libraries on campus. (Library map)
  • Young Research Library (YRL) has the most study space options with 15 group study rooms and 20 collaboration pods in the Research Commons
    • You can reserve rooms through your MYUCLA account.
  • Powell Library has 6 group study rooms. These rooms are also available during Night Powell.
  • You can reserve rooms through your MYUCLA account.
  • If you want a nice quiet place outside try the sculpture garden!
  • If you want to have easy access to coffee and don’t mind studying with lots of people around, there are 11 coffee shops with seating spread throughout the campus. Click here for a map of all locations.

If you are staying in the dorms and do not want to venture all the way to the middle of campus you can study at Covel Commons, or Rieber Hall that has two study group rooms that you can reserve online and a 24/7 room (Rieber Hall 137) with computers any resident may use.

I heard there is free printing, where is it?

  • On the main campus, the LGBT Center located in the Student Activities Center offers 5 pages of free printing
  • The CPO Computer Lab, located in the Student Activities Center, offers students 75 pages of free printing (front and back).
  • If you live on The Hill, there are several free printing stations in Covel Commons, and the Rieber and De Neve residence halls; look them up here.
  • If you are currently enrolled in a Life and Physical Sciences course students may print up to 50 pages per quarter at no cost in one of the five computer labs in Franz Hall.
  • If you qualify for Advanced Academic Placement, Campbell Hall offers free printing.
  • There is printing both black & white and color printing at Powel and YRL Library if you are in a bind. It cost 10¢ for Black and White and 40¢ for color each side. A wise tip would be to use this as a last option as there are many other sources named above.
  • Be sure to load up your BruinCard with funds so you always have a way to pay for last minute copies. More information on how here.

Here is a map of all of the computer labs on campus.

How do I sign up for summer classes?

  • Taking classes in the summer is a great way for transfers to keep up pace if they want to graduate in two or three years.
  • UCLA Summer Sessions offers more than 500 six, eight, and ten-week courses over two sessions. Students often choose to study in the summertime to meet their degree and major requirements in a timely fashion; often particularly interesting to transfer students and to enjoy the relaxed campus atmosphere. 
  • Summer Sessions also sponsors thirty Travel Study programs on five different continents and several intensive programs in subjects ranging from management to architecture. For more information see the International Education Office

In order to find out more and enroll in summer courses visit UCLA Summer Sessions

How do I schedule my courses for the next two years?

  • For more information on how to best schedule your academic timeline as a transfer at UCLA checkout the Transfer Academic Timeline. This timeline will give you a general overview of what to consider each quarter academically starting from the moment you are admitted to UCLA through to graduation!
  • It is important to meet with a counselor in College Academic Counseling (CAC) counselor, they will be able to pinpoint the requirements that you must complete in order to graduate on timely manner. If you are in the College Honors Programthe Athletics Program, or the Academic Advancement Program (AAP) you would visit your advisors in those offices rather than CAC.
  • It is also important to meet with your Departmental Advisor to make sure you are on track to finish all of your major requirements. Make sure to go to your department website and download your course requirements.
  • Use your Degree Audit Report Service (DARS) through your MYUCLA account to keep track of all of your courses including transferable credits, degree progression, UC units needed, etc. You can use the DARS to track your own progress.
  • The website is a helpful at-home resource for determining which courses from community college fulfill General Education Requirements. 

How do I change my major?

• It is possible to change majors as a transfer student although doing so is not advised if you plan on graduating in two years. Switching majors can be more difficult as a transfer because you have limited time at UCLA, there are restrictions on what majors you may switch to, and often there may be financial aid issues that come into play as well, so be sure to check in with an advisor if this is something you are considering.  

• If interested in changing majors students should fill out the Undergraduate Program Change Petition and speak with the departmental advisor in their major and in the major they are interested in switching to. Transfer students must go through the departments, as not all programs permit new advanced-standing students to enroll into a new program after admission in to another major. 

When should I start preparing for graduate school and life after UCLA?

• For more detailed information about when start thinking about graduate school, how to begin applying for grad school, and more about life after UCLA check out the Transfer Graduate School Timeline, the Transfer Career/Internship Timeline, and be sure to look out for workshops during the quarter that focus on graduate school and life after UCLA, many programs and departments offer them. 

• Talk to your TAs! They are in graduate school right now and know firsthand what it is like, start picking their brains for ideas and insights.

• The UCLA Career Center offers personal assistance and programs on the graduate and professional school application process, including program selection, the personal essay, faculty recommendations, admissions tests, and financial assistance. 

• The Career Center also offers an immense amount of resources for free, such as walk-in counseling session, help finding internships, jobs for summer, or jobs for after graduation, resume and interview preparation workshops and more.

• Visit the Bruinview website. The Career Center maintains this site as a place where various employers across the US post job listings and positions available at their business. It is a terrific resource to use while you are a student at UCLA, start using it early.

Why, how, and when should I get involved in research?

  • Explore the Transfer Research Timeline to see how you can get involved in research as a transfer student.
  • There are many reasons to explore research opportunities at UCLA. Research can help to make your academic experience more meaningful, provide one-on-one mentorship, give you a resources for stellar personal letters of recommendation, provide exposure, experience, and skills for the workforce, and is a great addition to resumes, CVs, and grad school applications. 
  • To get involved in research students do not need to have previous experience or know everything there is to know about research. Most students start out doing data entry and work toward doing more complicated research as they learn.
  • When you take courses and/or browse your departmental website (or that of the area in which you want to do research) consider whether or not the professor and the subject are interesting to you. If you find a professor and/or a lab that is doing work that interests you contact them and ask for an informational meeting, see if this is a professor you would want to work with on a research project or for an independent study project. You can do this with a professor whose class you are in or with professors you have not met! Go for it! Professors like student who are curious and eager to learn a subject and explore research, the worst they can say is that they do not have time.
  • Create a relationship with the professor in their office hours.
  • There are many options for contract courses with professors, take a look at the schedule of classes, generally course numbered 189 to 199 are contract courses (the numbers may vary according to major and department). These classes give you an opportunity to do internships, research, independent projects, and more for class credit.
  • The Undergraduate Research Centers (URC) assist students in research
    • For the arts, humanities, and social sciences, go to A334 Murphy Hall, 310-825-2935
    • For science, engineering, and mathematics, go to 2121 Life Sciences, 310-794-4227
  • Visit the Student Research Program (SRP)
    • SRP offers undergraduates, especially lower division and first-year transfer students, opportunities to become actively involved in the University research community. Working with faculty members on research projects, SRP students gain valuable research training and experience, as well as preparation for advanced undergraduate work and graduate school.
  • For students majoring in science, engineering & mathematics, check out the Center for Academic & Research Excellence.
  • The UCLA Library Website has terrific information on how to start your own research project. They also offer workshops and one-on-one sessions with skilled librarian to guide you on how to best utilize a research library. 

What are the citation rules at UCLA? And other rules and regulations at UCLA?

Should I take more than three classes my first quarter?

• Take no more than the minimum requirement in your college. (In the College of Letters and Science that’s 12/13).  

• During your first quarter as a transfer many of you will be negotiating the transition to a new college, city, campus, and academic and social experience. 

• Taking the minimum units allowable will give you an opportunity to manage the transition and adjustments while handling a reasonable course load.   

• It is not advisable to take over the minimum your first quarter as a transfer. You will have plenty of quarters to take more. 

Will my classes transfer?

The classes that transfer from your community college to UCLA will vary depending on the kind of courses you take at your community college, what your major is when you transfer to UCLA, and what course requirements there are in your major. The unit totals for each of your classes taken at community college will usually differ from those taken at UCLA because of the quarter system that UCLA follows. 

To gain a better understanding regarding how your classes transfer, it is best to talk a counselor in College Academic Counselling or your department counselor. If you do not know who your department counselor is, go to your department’s webpage to find out where the advising office is located.

Housing Questions

How do I apply for on-campus housing?

UCLA Housing offers something for everyone, whether it is the social interaction and convenience of on campus housing, independent living in University Apartments, or special communities for married or single-parent students.

How do I find housing off-campus?

Transfer students have several options if they are interested in living off-campus.

Living Off-Campus In University Apartments: Transfer students who prefer more independent living can choose from a variety of University-owned and privately-owned off-campus living options. Conveniently located within walking distance of campus, University Apartments offers single undergraduates a variety of furnished units. Five miles south of campus, UCLA’s University Village is designed especially for married students with or without children, students with same-gender domestic partners, and single parents.

The Community Housing Office (CHO) offers resources to students interested in finding different types of privately-owned housing in neighborhoods close to campus. The office maintains a database of rental listings which includes shared and vacant apartments, rooms in private homes, studio apartments, guest houses and short-term sublets. Full-time UCLA students may search listings for free.

The Community Housing office is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. They can be also be reached via phone at (310) 825-4491 and e-mail at

We have a Housing Co-op at UCLA! The University Cooperative Housing Association (UCHA) provides reasonable-cost housing to qualified students, visiting scholars and faculty of UCLA and other nearby educational institutions. Located just two blocks from campus! Other resources that have been used by students when searching for housing around the UCLA area include the following websites:

Facebook Housing Group
Facebook Apartment Group
Summer Sublet Facebook Page
UCLA Class of 2017 roommate search
UCLA Class of 2018 roommate search

Commuter Questions


How do I apply for parking? What if I miss the application deadline for parking?

  • Due to traffic congestion, air quality concerns, and limited parking, UCLA encourages individuals not to drive alone to campus. In fact, parking is not guaranteed to individual students much to the chagrin of our commuter students. To increase your chance of receiving a parking permit, be sure to apply on time and meet payment deadlines.
  • Students interested in purchasing parking permits simply access the online parking application with their UCLA logon ID, and personalized parking options will be displayed based on campus data (class standing, housing status, graduate student major, etc.). Parking offers will be prioritized according to the class standing listed in the student database.
    • Highest priority is given to graduate students, followed by seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen. Carpooling students are given priority within each category. Students must be registered for the current term to apply for parking.
    • Parking information and application
  • In order to obtain a parking permit, students need to apply on time and follow all application and payment guidelines. Permits are not guaranteed, students who are not offered parking will need to reapply the following quarter.
  • As mentioned above commuting students who form a two- or three- person carpool and apply together at UCLA Parking and are guaranteed parking at a discounted rate. For specific information about the student parking application process, quarterly fees, and deadline dates, contact UCLA Transportation:
    • By email at: UCLA Parking is open Monday through Friday, from 7:45 a.m. to 5:00 p.m 
      555 Westwood Plaza, Room 100
      (Parking Structure 8, Level 2)
      Los Angeles, CA 90095-1360
    • (310) 794-RIDE (7433)

What resources are available for commuters?

Health & Wellness Questions

I don’t understand student health insurance, do I need it?

Health Insurance is mandatory for all UCLA registered students and a condition of enrollment. The UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) is a comprehensive medical insurance program offered to UCLA students. All registered students are automatically enrolled in UC SHIP, but if you have comparable insurance and you do not want to keep UC SHIP as dual coverage, you must submit a request to waive enrollment by the specified deadline.

The cost of coverage through UC SHIP will be included as part of your Student Services Fees. You will receive more information about UC SHIP with your first BruinBill.

Here are FAQs regarding UC SHIP.

What if I already have insurance?

  • If you already have health insurance, check if your current plan meets the university requirements by visiting the student health insurance website. If your plan does meet the requirements, then you can complete an online waiver so that you will not be enrolled in UC SHIP. You must complete the online waiver during the fall, winter, or spring terms before the payment deadline date of each term. A UC SHIP waiver must be completed every academic year.  If you have questions, please contact us at (310) 825-4073, option #4. 
  • How do I make a doctor’s appointment if I have USHIP?

    • The Ashe Center serves as every UC SHIP student's medical home. Medical services must be initiated at Ashe and Ashe referrals are required for all non-emergent services outside of Ashe. Claims will not be considered without the Ashe Center referral. For details about the plan, visit
    • Here is a good breakdown of services. 

    Do I have dental, mental, and vision under UC SHIP? Does UC SHIP cover prescriptions?

      100% coverage for prescription contraceptives at The Ashe Center and UC Family medical centers. Some conditions apply.

    • Behavioral Health:
      • UC SHIP coordinates with UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services Center (CAPS) conveniently located next to the John Wooden Center. Students with UC SHIP have prepaid access to CAPS. 

    Tips from Current Transfers

    Go to office hours

    • Go to both Professor and teaching assistant’s (TA) office hours.
    • All Professors have office hours, and they all want to see you succeed!
    • Your professors and their graduate student teaching assistants are invaluable resources. Establishing relationships with your professors and TAs is not only a good way to deepen your understanding of the course topics, it is also a wonderful way for professors to get to know you, your interests, and work ethic which comes in useful when you are looking for future letters of recommendations, faculty advisors to do an independent project or contract course with, or a research position in a lab.
    • Put office hours in your weekly planner as though it is part of the course, that way you will not schedule other activities during this time. If the office hours available are not convenient for you, professors and TAs are generally willing to set up alternative times to meet so be sure to contact them. 

    Use the resources available to you

    Don’t Procrastinate and Set SMART goals

    • Time management skills will be really important when it comes to adjusting to the quarter system. The time goes by very quickly and many transfers find it easy to get behind on the workload, which adds unneeded stress to an already intense new experience.
    • Attend one of the many workshops about study skills and adjusting to the quarter system offered in the beginning of fall quarter and throughout the year to help you foresee what future obstacles and challenges may come up for you and ways in which to address and avoid the common pit falls.

    Get involved and engaged: Academically, Professionally, and Socially

    Familiarize yourself with the campus before classes start/Give yourself enough time to get from class to class

    • Walk your schedule, see how long it takes, especially on a hot day.
    • Remember that some quizzes are in the first few minutes of class.
    • Use the UCLA Interactive map

    Get a planner and use it!

    • Good time management is a must in the quarter system especially for transfer students.


    • Talk to transfer alumni/Attend graduate alumni panels.
    • Be proactive in networking opportunities, "meet and greets" and workshops
    • Find mentorship support (CCCP, GRIT, NSTP, Alumni Mentor)
    • Join UCLA Transfer Students Facebook Group to start networking and connecting with current students.
    • Join a mentorship program through your cultural organization or professional organization.
      • Be open minded, seek new things

    Know that you are not alone!!

    • The transfer transition can be challenging, everyone feels the stress and intensity of the quarter system and being in a new environment.
    • If you are feeling discouraged or stressed out this is not uncommon and chances are that most of the transfer students around you are feeling the same way.
    • Be confident and make the effort to talk to people and create a cohort of support at the University.
      • You got yourself here, you are incredibly skilled and talented, remember that as you dive into the UCLA experience. 

    Visit Counseling and Psychological Services if you are stressed and feeling overwhelmed

    • Whether you are intensely stressed out, have something very distressing going on in your life, or are just feeling worn down by the quarter system it is a good idea to visit CAPS. Services are free to you as a student with UC SHIP and the counselors at CAPS are very familiar with the transfer experience and the issues that sometimes go along with that. 

    Find your people! Find your cohort

    • Finding students with shared interests and experiences can be your best resource as a transfer.
    • Connecting with others is linked to better wellbeing, academic achievement, and retention. The UCLA experience, although great, can also be challenging. Having other people to share the experience with can change your experience drastically for the better.